Sunday, April 02, 2006

Hottie Days

Original Post Date : August 29, 2005

Came early to the office, and pulled up the window blind. Hopefully boss won’t pull it down again when he comes (the controller is located in his cubicle, and I’m about one cubicle away from the window).

Whew, the sky looks very cloudy outside, dark and sad. I think it’s about the time to rain, yesterday and this morning the weather was unbearable. It was airless in the MRT, hot and full of carbon monoxide, I wonder whether they turned on the aircon, see, the transportation cost was up again, but the quality is getting worse. When I was out from the train, standing in the middle of the field, I swear, there was not a single tree waving their leaves. No wind at all, and it was damn humid.

Sunny, dark, cloudy sky, rainy day, I love them all, but I lo-ve wind!!

Without wind, in this damp weather, I wonder whether I’ll be extinct in no time. >:"(

Anyway, I wonder what is this with the weather. There was another hurricane, even though we are supposed to enter rainy season, there are still jungle fires. And just found out not long ago there was an epidemic in India, dead cow, dead pig, flood, and disease. Storm in Taiwan to mainland, earthquake in Japan etc.

In Singapore’s Chinese calendar, we are in the middle of Seventh Month. Seventh Month is one of the still strong cultures here. So they believe, in the seventh month of the year, Gate of Hell is open and all the ghosts and evils are free to roam around. So this is the most superstitious month where people abstain from doing scary things, especially on the first day. During the month, they burn praying papers, and they erect stage in some places, where folks would perform: singing, acting and dancing, I think it was suppose to be kind of respect to the spirits. Some make this performance their yearly income, so they dress up, traditionally or formally and visit stage to stage to perform. People from neighborhood would come and watch. I’ve never been to the show (I can hear it clearly from my block up there), I know the organizer pays the performers, but I don’t know whether you need to pay to watch.

So, all the burning activities and flying ashes should contribute a little bit to the hot weather. Hey, I can talk a lot about weather; I thought it supposed to be a lame picked up line. :)

Nother thing, I don’t like construction activities. There are constructions going on in my block and under my office building. So, they cover up here and there, dusty and noisy, and cause human jam. Argh.. and of course, keep delaying their date of completion.

The one under the office affects me more. It was suppose to be a big pavement with water fountain. Every Thursday afternoon, there was line dancing by old folks. It was very cute. Those auntie and uncle dressed up and socialized.

Dress up; let me try to describe it. I always spotted this seventy years old auntie; she dyed her hair red, and tied it up at the right hand side of the head with those leathers with beads ribbon. She wore lacy dress and super short skirt, and pretty woman’s boot, red color. Most of the uncle wore cowboy head, metal belt, lucky luke’s type of clothing and cowboy boot. So they danced together, those stepped here, stepped there, swung back and forth. Sometimes they danced with Chinese song, but mostly they used modern country and pop songs. It was just fun to see these aunties with Maroon Five’s song. Miraculously, they could use the same steps with every song. :)

I always loved to watch them; I could hear the music before I touched the first story. It gave me nice feeling because they reminded me of Thursdays, one day to weekend. And it was fun to see those happy faces and their clothing. ;p
Sometimes, when it was rainy day, they move to the covered pavement, side by side with those outdoor seating from Spineli and California Deli, where those bules liked to sit and enjoy their coffee.

Now, during construction, at least a year, no more line dancing and they cover up the pavement up to the indoor roof so we can’t even see the sky. I spend mostly my days home-work-home, so practically I hardly see the open sky, unless I peep through my colleague’s cubicle or purposely take a detour to my apartment through a field. Screw constructions… grmbl..

Yesterday evening, we celebrated the combined birthday of three colleagues. We have eleven people in my dept; most of us are around 28, cough, my age. I met this colleague (she was one of the three birthday girl/boy), early in 2002 when I joined this company, she said she was 28, and now, three years later, she says she is 29, according to my math, this birthday she is supposed to be 32. :O

So why do people lie about their ages?

I think 30 may be a scary number, additionally; she doesn’t have a boyfriend yet.

But wouldn’t it worse if you are 29 with 32 years old-look? I think it’s better to be 32 with 32 years old-look, right? If you haven’t confused so far, - I think it’s better that you look your age rather than you look older than your age – (actually it’s not – because you lie about your age) – so isn’t it more flattering to be honest?

And, and, even if you look younger than your age, be honest too. Isn’t it more flattering when they say you look younger than your age?

Kekekkekekeke..

Most people still think 30 is a sacred number for girls, maybe that’s why. They say you have to get married before 30, have babies before 30 bla bla bla…

Even my modern thinking friends say the same, married or not married; I have many of them lecturing me about kids. Come on, I had enough from my family, I’m grateful to live far away from my aunties and uncles. Even my parents and mil had given up lecturing us. Some just don’t get the reasons. The idea of responsible to another person life is too selfish if you are not prepared, right? Some say, if you never try, you don’t know, or, if I can, why you can’t.

I have learned that we can never judge a person unless we are on their shoes. What we see may not be what they feel. Wrong things may be right if we change POV. : (l)

Hey, since morning, the Exit sign above my head keep blinking, something wrong with the light or is it a wahyu for me to go home?

These two days don’t do well for my mood, many undesirable things happened or will happen. Got to dig up all the cheer up mails and remember good things.

Good things, I’m always amused by twins. Mhehehhe, last weeks, I met four pairs of twins in one day. Kid twins is quite common, they dress the same way and walk hand to hand, or baby twins with tandem stroller. But these teenage twins that I met was sooo identical, only they didn’t dress exactly the same, but still same styles. They had same hairs, same eyebrows, same eyes, same height; I think it’s impossible to differentiate them except by, maybe, personalities.

The most hilarious thing, I thought I would never have this chance; I met a pair of twin nenek-nenek. Last time I LMAO because my friend told me she has twin grandpas. Now, these nenek-nenek were very close to each other, they dressed the same style with the same hairstyles. Mhehehhehe…

Other thing! Other thing!

I’m glad that many people read my blog. I want to thank the producer and the academy…no seriously, thanks for reading, :)