Sunday, April 02, 2006

So This Is Christmas

Original Post Date : December 15, 2005

Currently, there are Christmas songs in radio... Christmas is around the corner...

Actually, I always wonder what is Christmas for me. I enjoy Christmas songs and decorations in town. I love seeing Christmas tree in our house in Jakarta with musical instrumental and colorful lights shining in the dark. Christmas party...can’t really feel that, Christmas party is always medium rare or too well done, there are almost always done in November and January, can’t feel the ambient...

This year, I can’t find my Christmas tree, a small pathetic one and hidden inside one of the boxes in my storeroom. I will need at least one full day to find it that I don’t think I have in these few days.

Last Christmas, I remember we went strolling along Orchard Road. It is always the most happening street on Christmas Eve and New Year Eve. People having fun, performances, choirs, greeting with strangers etc. Most people, on the street, I bet three quarter of them are not Christian.

At first, it was quite fun watching. Strangers were smiling with strangers. They had fun with those spraying ribbons and glow in the dark sticks. After a while, both of us were getting quiet and walking to the MRT station, sat and looked at the garbage on the floor. There were sticky colorful ribbons and their empty cans and soft drink cans everywhere. It was just too much waste of money and too much work for the cleaners. The amount of money spent on creating those rubbishes can mean a lot for needy.

But then again, maybe, it’s too tiring to always do the right thing? Maybe the world has become too crazy place that slightest reason is needed for celebration. And with celebrating, it might be good to remind us that there are always good things to look forward to.

The day after, tsunami happened.

So, the moral is,
Don’t waste your money on useless thing; use it for something more meaningful for others, or maybe for yourself when you need it in the future.
Or,
Let’s celebrate every good thing, no matter how small, as long as we could, because we never know what is going to happen tomorrow. ? ? I prefer to do both ways, balance is good and keeps us in sane.

And, it’s not everyday that we are given choices and be able to choose all.

Bla…bla…bla…

So my parent, my eldest brother with his wife and kid, are here.
It’s always fun to have them here. House is full. And the little chubby nephew I have is very cute. He is three years old plus now, so I don’t need funny faces and voices to get close to him anymore, like I always had to do when he was a baby. I watch him grow up half a yearly. Now I can make serious face and talk to him seriously, and I can see how serious a kid talks when he thinks you talk to him seriously. Watch their expressions and the way they think hard trying to impress or convince you. It’s hilarious! Mhhahhahahaha….

Maybe later I will talk to him about conquering the world. Remind me of the cartoon character, Brain, the lab mouse who wants to conquer the world with its friend, Pinky. I miss that crazy cartoon…

This nephew of mine is a sporty type. Can see it now. He likes to watch football, when he was smaller, he even said that he was Beckam’s son.
Come on….Beckam? Yuhhhh… Sorry for fans.
Oke, he looks better than quite a lot of people, but have any of you hear him talk? It sounds like Mickey Mouse after inhaling a tank of helium.

SO.. lucky these last two visits my nephew doesn’t care about the Mickey Mouse anymore (he is much wiser), he is addicted with my pool table and spends his time playing like expert although he is only one head taller than the table. To avoid him disturbing our game when we are playing, I allow him to clean the white ball whenever it goes in. It’s just an adult manipulation to make him feels important and involved. Kekekkeekekke…

One day, when I was playing with my brother, I saw him standing at the edge of the table and grinning from ear to ear.
When I asked him why, he said “I moved that ball and put another ball in the hole and you didn’t know.”
Duh.
He is smarter than me sometimes. Or often.

When we had lunch, we had a huge spare glass of Coke, my nephew pronounced that as his as he drank it first. He was sitting on my left, after convincing him that I’ll be the Coke guardian angel, I put the Coke on my right afraid he might drop it. My brother asked me to finish the Coke as he didn’t want the child to drink too much. When I saw him playing and busy with himself, I took a sip of the Coke.

Before I even swallowed it, he looked at me, grinned and talked softly,” Kow-kow, did you just steal my Coke?” I was freeze with my cheeks still bulging with Coke, didn’t know what to say.

I must looked very stupid that way…

Here, I found the good one.

Christmas is to give thanks and have those loved ones present around you or present in your heart.

_______________________________________________

Anyone who says sunshine brings happiness has never danced in the rain.
- Origin Unknown

Life isn't like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.
- Unknown

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
- Benjamin Franklin

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.
- Jesus Christ

Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
- Mark Twain

Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors---and miss.
-Unknown

Women and cats will do as they please and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
- Robert Heinlein